Closing date of the applications is 24th September 2023
Payment Option 1
Please pay at any branch of the People’s Bank Island-wide using the usual deposit slip. Fill in the slip using the following information and your personal information. Please keep a photocopy/scanned copy of the slip with you before providing it to the university.
Account Number: 318057600004
Faculty of Graduate Studies, University of Colombo
Payment Option 2
Please follow the instructions given below.
Those who are unable to pay the application fee to the Bank, they can pay the application fee using the online payment (Pay Online) method of the University of Colombo.
- Please select “Course Fee – pst grad(FGS/FMF/FOS/Law” for the Fee Type
- Select Visa or Master
- Enter your Name, NIC (National Identity Card Number) or Passport Number and LKR 8000/=(Local Students)/ 50 USD (Foreign Students) as the Amount.
- Type the account number 318057600004 for Payment Reference. Then click the verify button
- Please add your name instead of Student Reg No.
- Submit your information.
- Check and confirm your details.
- Enter your card details and proceed .
You should submit the online payment confirmation receipt instead of payment slip in addition to the requested documents as mentioned in the advertisement.
The Faculty of Graduate Studies (FGS) of the University of Colombo calls for applications for its MPhil/PhD Programme in multidisciplinary Studies for 2024. The programme is intended to fulfill the needs of those who are engaged in academic research, consultancy, training, administrative and management positions and is committed to impart advanced training in research to achieve a high degree of intellectual and professional competence in variety of disciplines depending on the expertise available in the FGS.
- To provide an intensive training in research methodology
- To guide research in a chosen field through rigorous supervision.
- To help candidates contributing to scholarship through high quality original research.
All the students who are admitted to MPhil/PhD programme will follow a course in research methodology during the first six months of the programme. In addition, they will be working on their research proposal with their assigned supervisor.
Whether a candidate proceeds with an MPhil degree or upgraded to a PhD level studies will be determined according to the performance and progress made during the first 2 years.
The MPhil or PhD shall be awarded on the basis of a thesis and an oral examination. Candidates shall be required to attend selected courses wherever necessary as determined by the FGS. The thesis will be prepared under the guidance of one or more supervisors to be nominated by the Faculty of Graduate Studies, and appointed by the University Senate. Where appropriate,
supervision may be arranged through liaison with other institutions in Sri Lanka or abroad.
Medium of instructions and thesis writing: English
Medium of Instructions
- Has obtained a Bachelor’s Honours degree (SLQF level 06) from a recognized University/ Institution with First or Second Class Upper Division with a minimum of 30 credits in the relevant field; OR
- Has obtained a Bachelor’s degree (SLQF level 05), with postgraduate qualifications in the relevant field with
substantial research component acceptable to the Faculty Board and the Senate; OR
- Has obtained a two-year full-time Master’s degree with a substantial research component (SLQF level 10) in the relevant field acceptable to the Faculty Board and the Senate; OR
- Has obtained any other Master’s degree (complying with the requirements of SLQF level 9) in the relevant field with a substantial research component acceptable to the Faculty Board and the Senate; AND
- A good knowledge of English language and satisfactory performance at a selection test and/or interview.
A person who wishes to apply for the FGS programmes shall forward the application to the Senior Assistant Registrar, Faculty of Graduate Studies, No.35/30, Pro. Stanley Wijesundara Mawatha, Colombo 07.
Applications can be downloaded from (fgs.cmb.ac.lk) the faculty website. The students will be selected through an interview or a placement test or both. The next intake will be announced via the website, at the time of calling for applicants.
Professor K. Dissanayake
Ph.D, Meiji University, Tokyo
Telephone: +94 11 205 56 56
Ms. Pradeepa Jayasinghe
Phone: (+94) 11 205 56 56