Next intake in 2023
The Faculty of Graduate Studies (FGS) of the University of Colombo calls for applications for its MPhil/PhD Programme in multidisciplinary Studies for 2023. The programme is intended to fulfill the needs of those who are engaged in academic research, consultancy, training,
administrative and management positions and is committed to impart advanced training in research to achieve a high degree of intellectual and professional competence in variety of disciplines depending on the expertise available in the FGS.
1. To provide intensive training in research methodology
2. To guide research in a chosen field through rigorous supervision.
3. To help candidates contributing to scholarship through high quality original research.
All the students who are admitted to MPhil/PhD programme will follow a training course in research methodology during the first four months of the programme. In addition, they will be working on their research proposal with their assigned supervisor. Students who fail to obtain at least 70 percent of the total marks from the research methodology course will have to repeat it in the following year.
Whether a candidate proceeds to an MPhil or upgraded to a PhD will be determined according to the performance at the examination and progress made during the first 2 years. The final decision in this regard will be taken by the University Senate acting on the recommendation of the Faculty Board of the Faculty of Graduate Studies and the Board of Studies for professional Studies.
The initial registration will be for MPhil, with the provision for candidates with adequate competence to be upgraded to PhD. The MPhil or PhD shall be awarded on the basis of a thesis and an oral examination. Candidates shall be required to attend selected courses wherever necessary as determined by the FGS. The thesis will be prepared under the guidance of one or more supervisors to be nominated by the Faculty of Graduate Studies, and appointed by the University Senate. Where appropriate, supervision may be arranged through liaison with other institutions in Sri Lanka or abroad.
Medium of instruction and thesis writing: English
Medium of Instructions
- Has obtained a Bachelor’s Honours degree (SLQF level 06) from a recognized University/ Institution with First or Second Class Upper Division with a minimum of 30 credits in the relevant field; OR
- Has obtained a Bachelor’s degree (SLQF level 05), with postgraduate qualifications in the relevant field with
substantial research component acceptable to the Faculty Board and the Senate; OR
- Has obtained a two-year full-time Master’s degree with a substantial research component (SLQF level 10) in the relevant field acceptable to the Faculty Board and the Senate; OR
- Has obtained any other Master’s degree (complying with the requirements of SLQF level 9) in the relevant field with a substantial research component acceptable to the Faculty Board and the Senate; AND
- A good knowledge of English language and satisfactory performance at a selection test and/or interview.
Application form can be downloaded from the Faculty website fgs.cmb.ac.lk. Completed application form along with the certified copies of National Identity Card, Birth Certificate, relevant educational and professional qualifications and work experience (if any) and payment slips should be scanned and sent via email (firstname.lastname@example.org). In addition, the hard copies of these certified documents should also be sent through the registered post to reach the Senior Assistant Registrar, Faculty of Graduate Studies, University of Colombo, No 35/30, Prof. Stanley Wijesundara Mawatha, Colombo 07 on or before 30th October 2022. Please mention the programme name on the left side of the envelope.
Application fee of LKR 10,000/= (Local Students)/ 50 USD (Foreign Students) can be paid by using the code 318-0572-0000-8 through any People’s Bank Branch or by using the online payment portal (pay.cmb.ac.lk).
Professor K. Dissanayake
Ph.D, Meiji University, Tokyo
Telephone: +94 11 205 56 56
Ms. Supuni Gamage
Phone: (+94) 11 205 56 56