Applications are closing on 15th November 2021
Those who are unable to pay the application fee to the Bank, they can pay the application fee using the online payment (Pay Online) method of the University of Colombo. Please select “Course Fee – pst grad(FGS/FMF/FOS/Law” for the Fee Type and type the account code starting from 318…. given at the advertisement for Payment Reference and proceed the payment. You should submit the online payment confirmation receipt instead of payment slip in addition to the requested documents as mentioned in the advertisement.
The Faculty of Graduate Studies (FGS) has been offered MPhil/PhD Programme in multidisciplinary Studies. The programme is intended to fulfill the needs of those who are engaged in academic research, consultancy, training, administrative and management positions and is committed to impart advanced training in research to achieve a high degree of intellectual and professional competence in variety of disciplines depending on the expertise available in the FGS.
- To provide intensive training in research Methodology
- To guide research in a chosen field through rigorous Supervision.
- To help candidates, whenever possible, to establish Linkages with local and foreign institutions specializing in subject areas, relevant to their thesis work/ research Interests.
All the students who are admitted to MPhil/PhD programme will follow a training course in research methodology during the first four months of the programme. In addition they will be working on their research proposal with their, assigned supervisor. Students who fail to obtain at least 70 percent of the total marks from the research methodology examination will have to repeat it in the following year.
Whether a candidate proceeds to an MPhil or upgraded to a PhD will be determined according to the performance at the examination and progress made during the first 2 years. The final decision in this regard will be taken by the University Senate acting on the recommendation of the Faculty Board of the Faculty of Graduate Studies and the Board of Studies for professional Studies.
The initial registration will be for MPhil, with the provision for candidates with adequate competence to be upgraded to PhD. The MPhil or PhD shall be awarded on the basis of a thesis and an oral examination. Candidates shall be required to attended selected courses wherever necessary as determined by the FGS. The thesis will be prepared under the guidance of one or more supervisors to be nominated by the Faculty of Graduate Studies and appointed by the University Senate. Where appropriate, supervision may be arranged through liaison with other institutions in Sri Lanka or abroad.
Medium of instruction and thesis writing will be in English.
By-law of Mphil-PhD
MPhil – 2 years minimum
PhD – 3 years minimum
MPhil – SLQF Level 11
PhD – SLQF Level 12
Medium of Instructions
- A Bachelor’s degree from a recognized University/Institution with First or Second Class Upper Division in the relevant subject area (SLQF level 06); OR
- Bachelor’s degree (SLQF level 05/06), with prior learning/work experience and acceptable research publications; OR
- Two-year full time Master’s degree with a 15 credit research component (SLQF level 10); OR
- Professional qualification in subject area from a recognized professional body which is with prior learning/work experience in subject area.; AND
- All of the above acceptable to the Faculty Board and the Senate of the University of Colombo and a good knowledge of English language and satisfactory performance at a selection test and/or interview.
Application forms can be downloaded from the Faculty web site; fgs.cmb.ac.lk. Completed application forms along with the certified copies of National Identity Card, Birth Certificate, relevant educational and professional qualifications and work experience (if any) and payment slip should be scanned and emailed only via firstname.lastname@example.org email address. Also should be sent through the registered post to reach the Senior Assistant Registrar, Faculty of Graduate Studies, University of Colombo, No 35/30, Prof. Stanley Wijesundara Mawatha, Colombo 07, Sri Lanka on or before 15th November 2021.
Application fee of Rs 8000/= can be made by using the code 318-0570-0000-0 to any People’s Bank Branch.
Registration Fee (Per Year): LKR 7,500/-
Course Fee (Per Year): LKR 450,000/-
Library Fee (Per Year): LKR 1500/-
Refundable Library Deposit: LKR 5,000/-
(Rs. 2,500/= per card)
- Senior Professor Nayani Melegoda (Dean/FGS)
- Professor SP Premaratna (Department of Economics, University of Colombo)
- Professor Indira Nanayakkara (Department of Commercial Law, University of Colombo)
- Professor Arjuna Parakkrama (Department of English, University of Peradeniya)
- Professor Sandagomi Coperahewa (Department of Sinhala, University of Colombo)
- Professor Athula Ranasinghe (Department of Economics, University of Colombo)
- Professor Harshana Rambukwella (Postgraduate Institute of English, The Open University of Sri Lanka)
- Professor Amala De Silva (Department of Economics, University of Colombo)
- Professor Priyadarshani Galappatti (Department of Medical Humanities, University of Colombo)
- Dr. Janaki Jayewardena (Department of History, University of Colombo)
- Dr. Pradeepa Wijethunge (Librarian, University of Colombo)
- Dr. Ruwan Weerasinghe (School of Computing, University of Colombo)
- Dr. Kumudika Boyagoda (Department of Demography, University of Colombo)
- Dr. Panduka Karunanayake (Department of Clinical Medicine, University of Colombo)
- Dr. Sreemali Herath (Postgraduate Institute of English, The Open University of Sri Lanka)
- Dr. Dilhari Attygala (Department of Statistics, University of Colombo)
- Dr. WB Senaratna (Department of Strategic Studies, General Sir John Kotelawala Defence University)
- Dr. Sandunika Hasangani (PhD, Tokyo)
Ms. E. M. A. S. Ekanayake
Phone: (+94) 11 205 56 56