Applications are closing on 14th August 2022
Payment Option 1
Please pay at any branch of the People’s Bank Island-wide using the usual deposit slip. Fill in the slip using the following information and your personal information. Please keep a photocopy/scanned copy of the slip with you before providing it to the university.
Account Number: 318-5714-0000-7
Faculty of Graduate Studies, University of Colombo
Payment Option 2 - Pay Online
Please follow the instructions given below.
Those who are unable to pay the application fee to the Bank, they can pay the application fee using the online payment (Pay Online) method of the University of Colombo.
- Please select “Course Fee – pst grad(FGS/FMF/FOS/Law” for the Fee Type
- Select Visa or Master
- Enter your Name, NIC (National Identity Card Number) or Passport Number and 3000 LKR as the Amount.
- Type the account number 318-5714-0000-7 for Payment Reference. Then click the verify button
- Please add your name instead of Student Reg No.
- Submit your information.
- Check and confirm your details.
- Enter your card details and proceed .
You should submit the online payment confirmation receipt instead of payment slip in addition to the requested documents as mentioned in the advertisement.
Economic liberalization in the post-1977 period shifted the emphasis of entrepreneurship from centralized government control to decentralized market oriented private enterprise. The success of small and large-scale production and commerce in domestic and international trade settings is dependent on efficient management. In this transitional period from planning to market oriented entrepreneurship, and from centralized government control to decentralized market oriented private enterprise, the Postgraduate Diploma in Business Management (PGDBM) provides key training that equips students for these challenges. With the success of small and large-scale production and commerce, from agricultural predominance to industrialization, from satisfying domestic demand to capturing international trading spheres, firms are facing an intense problem in recruiting efficient, knowledgeable and farsighted management staff. Recognizing the need for a changing and competitive world of enterprise, such firms are demanding better qualified executives who are able to deal effectively, not only with day-to-day routine work, but also to make a significant contribution to the corporate planning strategies of the country.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Business Management will attempt to bridge the gap between the academic knowledge gained during the first degree/Diploma and the management needs in the currently competitive business arena. Undergraduates who have performed well in their degree courses will now be given the opportunity to improve their practical skills. Since this course incorporates management related subjects, it will improve their competitiveness in the labour market.
Undergraduates, whose horizon was limited to the public sector, a currently shrinking domain, will now be trained to face the demands of a competitive business environment with confidence. They will be equipped with the skills of analysis, presentation and decision making necessary to succeed in securing attractive employment opportunities and in becoming skilful managers who are assets to their employers.
The PGDBM is a valuable qualification as it fulfils the expectations of employers in the organized private sector who demand qualifications and training beyond a first degree/Diploma.
PGDBM 5101 – Accounting and Finance
PGDBM 5102 – Business Economics
PGDBM 5103 – Quantitative Techniques
PGDBM 5104 – Management Process & Practices
PGDBM 5205 – Human Resource Management
PGDBM 5206 – Operations Management
PGDBM 5207 – Marketing Management
PGDBM 5208 – Strategic Management
PGDBM 5209 – Research Methods
- The program of study leading to the PGDip (Busi Mgmt), unless otherwise decided by the Senate on the recommendation of the Faculty Board for special reasons, as prescribed in the schedule shall be one academic year with nine (09) courses of 26 credits, offered in two semesters.
- The titles of courses, syllabi, course codes, credit point and other details are those set out in the schedule and the Senate shall have power, on the recommendation of the Faculty Board of the FGS to amend, add to, delete from or vary the courses, their titles, syllabi, course codes, credit points and other details of the programme. Such amendments shall come into effect after due notice.
- The Programme of Study and Examinations leading to the PGDip (Busi Mgmt) will be conducted in the conventional mode and/or through the information communication technology driven on-line mode or a combination of multi-modes and these By-Laws, and other relevant By-Laws, Rules and Regulations passed by the University of Colombo shall be so applied and interpreted in order to facilitate the effective conduct of the study programme without compromising its integrity and quality.
- The medium of instruction and examination shall be English.
- The Senate, on the recommendation of the Faculty Board of the FGS shall appoint a Board of Examiners to conduct examinations and assess the performance of candidates.
- The Senate, on the recommendation of the Faculty Board shall appoint a Board of Examiners to conduct and assess the performance of candidates.
- A Bachelor’s degree from a recognized University/ Institution in Business Management; or
- Any other Bachelor’s degree, with prior learning/ work experience in Business Management; or
- Professional qualification in Business Management from a recognized professional body acceptable to the Faculty Board of the FGS and Senate of the University of Colombo with prior learning/ work experience in Business Management; or
- Completion of NVQ level 7 (equivalent to Bachelor’s degree in SLQF) with relevant work experience in Business Management as determined by the Faculty Board of the FGS and Senate of the University of Colombo; And
- A good knowledge of English language and satisfactory performance at a selection test and/or selection interview.
Application forms can be downloaded from the Faculty web site fgs.cmb.ac.lk. Completed application forms along with the certified copies of National Identity Card, Birth Certificate, relevant educational and professional qualifications and work experience (if any) and payment slips should be scanned and emailed only via firstname.lastname@example.org email address. In addition, the hard copies of these certified documents should also be sent through the registered post to reach the Senior Assistant Registrar, Faculty of Graduate Studies, University of Colombo, No 35/30, Prof. Stanley Wijesundara Mawatha, Colombo 07 on or before 14th August 2022. Please mention the programme name on the left side of the envelope.
Application fee of LKR. 3000/= can be made using the code 318-5714-0000-7 to any People’s Bank Branch. (Submit payment slip with the application)
Application Fee: LKR 3,000/-
Registration Fee: LKR 5,000/-
Course Fee: LKR 125,000/-
Library Fee: LKR 1500/-
Examination Fee: LKR 18000/-
(Per one paper 2000*9)
Refundable Library Deposit: LKR 5,000/-
(Rs. 2,500/= per card)
- Professor K. Dissanayake
- Professor AA Azeez
- Professor MPP Dharmadasa
- Professor STWS Yapa
- Professor R Senathiraja
- Dr. AAC Abeysinghe
- Dr. GRP Silva
- Dr. HMN Padmasiri
- Dr. AWMM Atapattu
- Dr. WAS Dishanka
- Dr. MR Chandrasekara
- Ms. KGK Fernando
- Ms. NRAS Rajapaksha
- Mr. WMGPCB Wijekoon
Professor K. Dissanayake
Ph.D, Meiji University, Tokyo
Telephone: +94 11 205 56 56
Mr. Ramesh Jayawardhana
Phone: (+94) 11 205 56 56