Applications are closing on 03rd October 2021
Those who are unable to pay the application fee to the Bank, they can pay the application fee using the online payment (Pay Online) method of the University of Colombo. Please select “Course Fee – pst grad(FGS/FMF/FOS/Law” for the Fee Type and type the account code starting from 318…. given at the advertisement for Payment Reference and proceed the payment. You should submit the online payment confirmation receipt instead of payment slip in addition to the requested documents as mentioned in the advertisement.
Human rights have evolved into a distinct academic discipline with theoretical and practical importance, drawing inspiration from several fields of study. Learning human rights also has become central to many professional careers, including law, public administration, and development work. There is a considerable need to train people to study and to undertake research in human rights at postgraduate level. The course intends to get the students engage in serious research based on different dimensions of the broad human rights discourse and to enhance their knowledge, skills, and attitudes through offering different course modules. In this year, new changes are introduced, by adding new courses to keep abreast with emerging trends in the field of human rights, and initiating suitable methods of teaching and evaluating to achieve the objectives of the course. It is wished to identify diverse needs of participants coming from various backgrounds and to cater for those
- To educate and train students in both theoretical and practical aspects of human rights application, drawing knowledge from historical, philosophical, legal, international and domestic dimensions of human rights;
- To generate and inculcate analytical skills among students to enable them to undertake research and to be involved in the promotion and protection of human rights;
- To identify and describe expectations specified in the international and domestic instruments that pertain to Human Rights Education;
- To trace generations of Human Rights and rights of different groups whose rights are at stake; To understand the conditions for ensuring effective Human Rights Education;
- To submit a well-researched scholarly analysis of the subject matter in the form of a dissertation.
MHR 6101 – Research Methodology
MHR 6102 – Human Rights Theory and Practice
MHR 6103 – International and Domestic Human Rights
MHR 6104 – Human Rights and Human Security
MHR 6201 – Forced Migration, Internally Displaced Persons and Refugees
MHR 6202 – Human Rights Protecting Mechanism/ Enforcement
Independent Research Study
- A Bachelor’s degree from a recognized University/Institute in the field of Human Rights; or
- Any other Bachelor’s Degree, with prior learning/work experience in Human Rights; or
- Postgraduate Diploma (SLQF 8) from a recognized University/Institute or an equivalent qualification acceptable to the Faculty Board and the Senate of the University with prior learning/work experience in Human Rights; or
- Professional qualification in Human Rights from a recognized professional body which is acceptable to the Faculty Board and the Senate of the University with prior learning/work experience in Human Rights; or
- Completion of NVQ Level 07 ( Equivalent to Bachelor’s degree in SLQF) with relevant work experience in Human Rights as determined by the Faculty Board and the Senate of The University.; And
- A good knowledge of English Language and satisfactory performance at a selection test and/or a selection Interview.
Application forms can be downloaded from the faculty web site fgs.cmb.ac.lk.
Completed application forms along with the certified copies of relevant certificates and payment slip should be scanned and emailed via (email@example.com) and also should be sent through the registered post to reach the Senior Assistant Registrar, Faculty of Graduate Studies, on or before 20th September 2021.
Application fee of Rs 3000/= can be made by using the code 318-1409-0000-0 to any People’s Bank Branch.
Application Fee: LKR 3,000/-
Registration Fee: LKR 5,000/-
Course Fee: LKR 121,500/-
Library Fee: LKR 1,500/-
Examination Fee: LKR 12,000/-
(Per one paper 2,000*6)
Refundable Library Deposit: LKR 5,000/-
(Rs. 2,500/= per card)
- Professor Wasantha Senevirathne
- Professor A. Sarveswaran
- Dr. Rose Wijeysekere
- Dr. U Liyanage
- Dr. Sampath Punchihewa
- Dr. Darshana Sumanadasa
- Dr. Thakshila Udayanganie
- MAM Hakeem
- M Harankaha
- C Akurugoda
Professor Wasantha Senevirathne
MPhil, University of Colombo
Mobile: 077 373 92 08/0707739208
Ms. Hiruni Fernando
Phone: (+94) 11 205 56 56