Closing date of the applications is extended till 15th December 2023
Payment Option 1
Please pay at any branch of the People’s Bank Island-wide using the usual deposit slip. Fill in the slip using the following information and your personal information. Please keep a photocopy/scanned copy of the slip with you before providing it to the university.
Account Number: 318625800003
Faculty of Graduate Studies, University of Colombo
Payment Option 2
Please follow the instructions given below.
Those who are unable to pay the application fee to the Bank, they can pay the application fee using the online payment (Pay Online) method of the University of Colombo.
- Please select “Course Fee – pst grad(FGS/FMF/FOS/Law” for the Fee Type
- Select Visa or Master
- Enter your Name, NIC (National Identity Card Number) or Passport Number and LKR 3000/=(Local Students)/ 40 USD (Foreign Students) as the Amount.
- Type the account number 318625800003 for Payment Reference. Then click the verify button
- Please add your name instead of Student Reg No.
- Submit your information.
- Check and confirm your details.
- Enter your card details and proceed .
You should submit the online payment confirmation receipt instead of payment slip in addition to the requested documents as mentioned in the advertisement.
The PgD/MA in Gender and Women’s Studies is an inter-disciplinary degree course designed to give advanced grounding in feminist theory and methodology taught through the discussion of contemporary social issues and their application in local, regional, and international contexts. Motivated by the quest for social justice, the focus on feminist inquiry provides a wide range of perspectives on social, cultural, economic, and political phenomena, specifically in the way gendered identities, gender relations, gender roles, and gender stereotypes shape values and beliefs and perpetuate gender inequality.
The programme links theoretical advances in the field of gender studies to practice in fields such as gender and international development, social policy and planning, sexual and reproductive health, international relations and law, and media analysis. The programme will consider diverse analytical tools for the analysis and theorization of social policy, international development, and globalization, as well as culture, identity, and sexuality from a uniquely gendered perspective.
The course aims are to enable students to:
- Become familiar with the genealogy of feminist theory and develop a critical appreciation of different theories of gender.
- Critically engage with contemporary debates in international development, social policy and planning, the law, politics, culture, and the media through the application of feminist theory.
- To develop their critical thinking skills to examine and evaluates Sri Lankan laws, policies and programmes.
- Use feminist theory to inform the analysis of existing work in their disciplinary areas and in an inter-disciplinary context, as well as in their line of work.
- To embark on pertinent research studies, with a specific focus on Sri Lanka, to make an original contribution on knowledge in the field.
- To infuse new thinking and action in their own organizations to address issues related to ‘women’ and ‘gender’ in Sri Lankan society.
5101 – Introduction to Feminism: History, Concepts, and Theories
5102 – Gender, Development, and the Economy
5103 – Research Methodologies I :‘Gender, Knowledge, and Research’
5201 – Health, Sexuality, and Gendered Bodies
5202 – Gender, Culture, and Representation
5203 – Feminist Legal Theory and Practice
5204 – Academic Writing Workshops
5205 – Independent Study
The one year post-graduate Diploma will constitute:
- Six core courses
- Academic Writing Workshops
- Independent Study
Candidates who successfully complete the Diploma (PGDWS) are eligible to apply for registration to the MA programme (M.GWS).
By-law of PgDGWS
- A Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university/ Institution in a field relevant to the subject matter/s of PgDGWS; or
- Any other Bachelor’s degree / with one years’ work experience relevant to the subject matter of PgDGWS; or
- Professional qualification or an equivalent qualification from a recognized professional body acceptable to the Faculty Board and the Senate of the University with one years’ work experience in the field of PgDGWS, or
- Any other Higher Diploma from a recognized University/ Institution or an equivalent qualification so recognized by the Faculty Board and the Senate of the University of Colombo with three years’ work experience in the field of PGDGWS; or
- Minimum of eight years sustained work experience relevant to the field of study in recognized institutions or work place with strong recommendation on the capacity of the candidate to undertake the programme from the Head of the institution where the candidate works. Each application under this clause shall be considered on its merit.
- Satisfactory performance at a selection test and/or selection interview; and
- A good knowledge of English language.
- A person who wishes to apply for the FGS programmes shall forward the application to the Senior Assistant Registrar, Faculty of Graduate Studies, No.35/30, Pro. Stanley Wijesundara Mawatha, Colombo 07.
- Applications can be downloaded from (fgs.cmb.ac.lk) the faculty website.
- The students will be selected through an interview.
- The next intake will be announced via the website, at the time of calling for applicants.
Course Fee ( Local Students)
Application Fee: LKR 3,000/-
Registration Fee: LKR 5,000/-
Course Fee: LKR 156,500/-
Library Fee: LKR 1,500/-
Examination Fee: LKR 12,000/-
(Per one paper 2,000*6)
Refundable Library Deposit: LKR 5,000/-
(Rs. 2,500/= per card)
Course Fee ( Foreign Students)
Application Fee: 40 USD
Registration Fee: 65 USD
Course Fee: 2019 USD
Library Fee: 19 USD
Examination Fee: 155 USD
Refundable Library Deposit: LKR 5,000/-
(Rs. 2,500/= per card)
- Dr Darshi Thoradeniya
- Dr Gayathri Lokuge
- Dr Kaushalya Ariyarathne
- Dr Kaushalya Perera
- Dr Pavithra Jayawardena
- Dr Prabha Manurathna
- Dr Pradeep Peiris
- Dr Ramani Jayasundere
- Dr Sepali Kottegoda
- Dr Radhika Coomaraswamy
- Mr. Sumith Chaminda
- Mr. Krishan Siriwardhana
- Mr. Samal V. Hemachandra
- Ms. Nehama Jayawardena
Dr Pavithra Jayawardena
Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
Ms. Dulmini Uggalla
Phone: (+94) 11 205 56 56