Next intake in 2023
The M. Phil in Clinical Psychology Program at the FGS-Colombo is well suited for the individual who is interested in a professional career as a clinical psychologist. The program involves both the scientific understanding of people and the application of this knowledge to human psychological problems. The Program would be conducted with the expertise of academics from the universities in Sri Lanka and overseas. Resource persons from other public and private sector organizations in Sri Lanka would also participate.
The program aims to provide students with essential skills in clinical psychology which include assessment of mental health, psychological, behavioral and systemic issues, drawing from the theory and practice of evidence based approaches. The programme would also provide skills in the summation and integration of the knowledge that is acquired by this assessment process to formulate and design appropriate psychological intervention and support.
The Program emphasizes the development of both clinical and research skills, as an essential and critical aspect of a clinical psychologist’s profession. Building on foundational knowledge of the discipline acquired at undergraduate level, the program will begin with in-class lectures and case study learning, followed by supervised practical applications in clinical placements. Trainees will be assessed via written examinations, clinical reports, and evaluation of clinical work, a research dissertation and viva voce examinations.
Extract from By-Laws of the Master of Philosophy in Clinical Psychology Program
- To provide postgraduate training to enable trainees to become registered Clinical Psychologists;
- To combine research, academic and clinical training methods in a comprehensive and integrated programme;
- To enable trainees to develop critical thinking, analysis and independent scientific thought through the pursuit of original research;
- To provide experience of working in an active research and clinical environment so as to engender a scientific approach to professional psychological practice;
- To encourage the personal and professional development of trainees as reflective practitioners.
Adult Mental Health and Neuropsychology
MPCP 101 – Psychological therapies
MPCP 102 – Adult psychopathology
MPCP 103 – Clinical neuropsychology
MPCP 104 – Health psychology
MPCP 105 – Working with older people
Child Psychology and Learning Disabilities
MPCP 106 – Child psychology
MPCP 107 – Learning disabilities
Research Methods and Statistics
MPCP 108 – Research and evaluation
MPCP 109 – Statistics
Professional Competencies and Applications in the Sri Lankan context
MPCP 110 – Professional issues
MPCP 111 – Service delivery and consultancy models
MPCP 112 – Applied psychology in a Sri Lankan context
There are 3 components of the course structure.
- Lecture based component
- Clinical / Practical Placement Component
- Research Component
Coursework comprises the 12 modules outlined above. The trainees would have approximately five days of teaching at the FGS-Colombo during the first four months of the programme and thereafter up to two days of lectures or seminars at the FGS-Colombo and three days of clinical training at a given placement usually Wednesday, Thursday, Friday or Saturday (based on the activities at the placement) for a period of 20 months. The trainees are required to dedicate their time for the programme as it demands full time commitment from the trainees. The research dissertation will be undertaken towards the end of the first year and students will have approximately 12 months to complete their research.
By-law of MPCP
- Duration: Two years
- Fulltime- Weekdays
- Medium of Instructions: English
No person shall be considered for admission to the course leading to the Master of Philosophy in Clinical Psychology Degree unless she/he has satisfied the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s Degree (Special / Major/Honours) in Psychology with a first or second class honours division pass from a university recognized by the University Grant Commission, or
- A Bachelor’s Degree (Special/Major/Honours) in Psychology with a postgraduate qualification in a relevant/related field from a university recognized by the University Grant Commission, and A good working knowledge of the English language.
- Clinical experience will be an advantage
- A person who wishes to apply for the FGS programmes shall forward the application to the Senior Assistant Registrar, Faculty of Graduate Studies, No.35/30, Pro. Stanley Wijesundara Mawatha, Colombo 07.
- Applications can be downloaded from (fgs.cmb.ac.lk) the faculty website.
- The students will be selected through an interview.
- The next intake will be announced via the website, at the time of calling for applicants.
Application Fee: LKR 3,000/-
Registration Fee (Per Year): LKR 5,000/-
Course Fee: LKR 800,000/-
Library Fee (Per Year): LKR 1500/-
Examination Fee: LKR 4000/-
Refundable Library Deposit: LKR 5,000/-
(Rs. 2,500/= per card)
- Professor Piyanjali de Zoysa
- Professor Samanmali Sumanasena
- Dr Malathie Dissanayake
- Dr Pavithra Godamunne
- Ms Roshan Dhammapala
- Dr Gayani P. Gamage
- Mrs AVS Rekha Aththidiye
- Dr Rushan Abeygunawardana
- Dr Kanthi Hettigoda
- Ms Kushlani Munasinghe
- Ms Chrishara Paranawithana
Dr. Malathie Dissanayake
PhD, North Carolina State University, USA
Ms. Maneesha Wijesinghe
Phone: (+94) 11 205 56 56