Closing date of the applications is extended to the 15th November 2022
Payment Option 1
Please pay at any branch of the People’s Bank Island-wide using the usual deposit slip. Fill in the slip using the following information and your personal information. Please keep a photocopy/scanned copy of the slip with you before providing it to the university.
Account Number: 318121400004
Faculty of Graduate Studies, University of Colombo
Payment Option 2
Please follow the instructions given below.
Those who are unable to pay the application fee to the Bank, they can pay the application fee using the online payment (Pay Online) method of the University of Colombo.
- Please select “Course Fee – pst grad(FGS/FMF/FOS/Law” for the Fee Type
- Select Visa or Master
- Enter your Name, NIC (National Identity Card Number) or Passport Number and LKR 3000/=(Local Students)/ 15 USD (Foreign Students) as the Amount.
- Type the account number 318121400004 for Payment Reference. Then click the verify button
- Please add your name instead of Student Reg No.
- Submit your information.
- Check and confirm your details.
- Enter your card details and proceed .
You should submit the online payment confirmation receipt instead of payment slip in addition to the requested documents as mentioned in the advertisement.
Masters in Information Systems Management (MISM) program is intended to provide the opportunity for professionals/executives to increase their breadth and depth of knowledge and qualifications in information systems processes and information resource management. Within this framework, graduates will be better prepared to contribute to the growth of the information systems/science discipline and industry while also enhancing their individual advancement opportunities. To this end, course content is to combine standard units of study in the field as well as elective units which can be clustered to exploit clear niche market opportunities. The MISM is specially intended to enable students to study a wider range of units with a substantial piece of research that may be directly applied and industry-relevant or to follow a research topic that may be a pathway to a higher degree such as a PhD.
- To develop in students an awareness of human, organizational and social contexts in which information systems operate.
- To familiarize students with the technologies to develop information systems.
- To enable students to obtain practical skills in the techniques and technologies used to analyze, design, implement and maintain information systems.
- To develop appropriate communication group working and research skills for enabling effective mediation between information resources, users and systems.
MISM 6101 – Fundamentals of Information Systems and New Trends
MISM 6102 – Information Systems Project Management
MISM 6103 – Data and Information Management
MISM 6104 – Information Policy and Enterprise Architecture
MISM 6105 – Information Systems Modelling
MISM 6201 – Organizational IT Infrastructure Development
MISM 6202 – IS Strategy, Acquisition and Management
MISM 6203 – Information Assurance, Security and IT Law
MISM 6204 – Information for Decision Making and Business Intelligence
MISM 6205 – Introduction to Research Methods
MISM 6211 – Business Information (Elective)
MISM 6212 – Health Information (Elective)
MISM 6213 – Industrial Information (Elective)
MISM 6301 – Information Literacy and Academic Writing
MISM 6302 – Advanced Research Methods and Statistics
MISM 6304 – Innovation and Entrepreneurship
MISM 6305 – Leadership and Professionalism
MISM 6303 – Research Seminar
MISM 6321 – Research project
The MISM programme consists of two academic years (four semesters) with fifteen (15) courses of 39 total credits, a research seminar which carries 03 credits and a research project and dissertation of 18 credits. In each of the taught courses, 40 percent of the maximum marks shall be based on continuous assessments which shall assess the performance of the candidate at assignments, class-room tests, quizzes, reports, discussions, seminars, oral presentations, etc. The balance 60 percent of marks shall be used for assessing the performance of the candidates at the end-of-semester closed book written examination in an examination hall setting. Only at the end of the semester, I and II, written examinations will be held. Each of the fifteen (15) courses, research seminar, research project and dissertation shall carry a maximum Grade Point Value of 4.00. A candidate’s performance in each of the courses shall be graded according to the following scheme and the calculation of Grade Point Average (GPA) is carried out considering the Grade Point Value (GPV) for each such course and the Credits allocated accordingly.
After completion of the first academic year of the study (First and Second semesters) then from the beginning of the Third semester, candidate should work on original research study in the field of Information Systems Management under a supervisor appointed by the Senate on the recommendation of the Faculty Board. She/He should submit a dissertation containing a minimum of 25,000 words and a maximum of 30,000 words based on the research. The dissertation should represent sustained research carried out in the field of Information Systems Management and be a presentation of original work incorporating analytical and/or critical review of the subject matter of research and study.
The registration for MISM shall be deemed to have lapsed at the expiry of its period of validity. A candidate whose registration has so lapsed may renew her/his registration for a further period of another academic year, provided the Faculty Board considers her/him eligible for such registration. However, no registration shall be renewed after the expiry of three academic years from the end of the first period of registration.
- A Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university/institution in Information Systems Management; or
- Any other Bachelor’s degree, with prior learning/work experience in Information Systems Management; or
- Postgraduate Diploma (SLQF 8) from a recognized university/institution or an equivalent Qualification acceptable to the Faculty Board of the FGS and the Senate of University of Colombo with prior learning/work experience in Information Systems Management; or
- Professional qualification in Information Systems Management from a recognized professional body acceptable to the Faculty Board of the FGS and the Senate of the University of Colombo with prior learning/work experience in Information Systems Management; or
- Completion of NVQ level 7 (equivalent to Bachelor’s degree in SLQF) with relevant work experience in Information Systems Management determined to be acceptable by the Faculty Board of the FGS and the Senate of the University of Colombo; And
- A good knowledge of English language and satisfactory performance at a selection interview and/or selection test.
- Each application under clause (v) shall be considered on its merit.
- A person who wishes to apply for the FGS programmes shall forward the application to the Senior Assistant Registrar, Faculty of Graduate Studies, No.35/30, Pro. Stanley Wijesundara Mawatha, Colombo 07.
- Applications can be downloaded from (fgs.cmb.ac.lk) the faculty website.
- The students will be selected through an interview or a placement test or both.
- The next intake will be announced via the website, at the time of calling for applicants.
- Professor Prathiba Mahanamahewa
- Professor B. Nishantha
- Dr. Rushan Abeygunawardana
- Dr. Sajitha Dishanka
- Dr. Dilina Herath
- Mr. Chanuka Wattegama
- Mr. Mangala Perera
- Mr. Thepul Ginige
- Mr. Nipuna Suduwella
- Ms. Amila De Silva
Dr. Rushan Abeygunawardana
PhD, University of Colombo
Mobile: 0714425276 / 0770633637
Ms. Ashika De Silva
Phone: (+94) 11 205 56 56