Closing date of the applications is extended till 17th February 2023
Payment Option 1
Please pay at any branch of the People’s Bank Island-wide using the usual deposit slip. Fill in the slip using the following information and your personal information. Please keep a photocopy/scanned copy of the slip with you before providing it to the university.
Account Number: 318041700002
Faculty of Graduate Studies, University of Colombo
Payment Option 2
Please follow the instructions given below.
Those who are unable to pay the application fee to the Bank, they can pay the application fee using the online payment (Pay Online) method of the University of Colombo.
- Please select “Course Fee – pst grad(FGS/FMF/FOS/Law” for the Fee Type
- Select Visa or Master
- Enter your Name, NIC (National Identity Card Number) or Passport Number and LKR 3000/=(Local Students)/ 50 USD (Foreign Students) as the Amount.
- Type the account number 318041700002 for Payment Reference. Then click the verify button
- Please add your name instead of Student Reg No.
- Submit your information.
- Check and confirm your details.
- Enter your card details and proceed .
You should submit the online payment confirmation receipt instead of payment slip in addition to the requested documents as mentioned in the advertisement.
The Master of Business Studies (MBS) is a one-year programme that comprises of nine taught modules and an independent study. The programme is specially designed for those with modest work experience seeking to engage in postgraduate studies with a view of career enhancement in business or management. This course provides a broad introduction to key aspects of business and gives an excellent preparations for a career in management. It combines the theory and practice of management. It involves the participant in a demanding process of personal and managerial development, providing them with opportunities to reflect upon existing behavior and attitudes using business and management concepts.
This creates immense opportunities for the participant for their career enhancement as it fulfils the present expectations of employers in the private sector who demand qualifications and training beyond the basic degree particularly under liberalized economic policies in Sri Lanka. The success of industrial and commercial enterprises under these economic policies is heavily dependent on efficient business management. The MBS is expected to bridge the gap between the academic knowledge gained during a first degree, and the management needs in the currently competitive business arena. Graduates who have performed well in their degree courses will now have the opportunity to improve their practical skills, including their use of English. This course incorporates, management related subjects, language learning and a period of internship in a business firm thereby enabling participants to enhance their competitiveness in the labor market.
Managing a business requires the knowledge in planning and enhancing individual managerial understanding and effectiveness to develop and maintain sound working relationships with a diverse group of individuals in the management process. Thus, upon successful completion of the programme the participants will be equipped with:
- A critical understanding of the body of knowledge and research relating to business management.
- An ability to review and evaluate the appropriateness and potential value of concepts, models and techniques to the effective management of business organizations.
- A broad-base of knowledge and skills in business and management that will enable you to develop a successful career as a manager.
An ability to engage in business management research.
MBS 6101 – Management Theory & Practices
MBS 6102 – Managerial Economics
MBS 6103 – Quantitative Analysis for Business
MBS 6104 – Accounting & Finance
MBS 6105 – Human Resource Management
MBS 6201 – Marketing Management
MBS 6202 – Strategic Management
MBS 6203 – International Business Environment
MBS 6204 – Research Methods
MBS 6205 – Independent Study
- The programme of study leading to the MBS degree, unless otherwise decided by the Senate on the recommendation of the Faculty Board for special reasons, shall be one academic year with nine (09) courses of 26 total credits and an independent study of 6000 – 7000 words which carries 5 credits, offered in two semesters as prescribed in the Schedule.
- The Programme of Study and Examinations leading to the MBS degree shall be conducted in the conventional mode through the information communication technology driven on-line mode or a combination of multi-modes and these By-Laws, and other relevant By-Laws, Rules and Regulations passed by the University shall be so applied and interpreted in order to facilitate the effective conduct of the study programme without compromising its integrity and quality.
- The medium of instruction and examination shall be English.
- The Senate, on the recommendation of the Faculty Board shall appoint a Board of Examiners to conduct examinations and assess the performance of candidates.
- A Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university/institution in Business Studies / Management; or
- Any other Bachelor’s degree, with prior learning/work experience in Business Studies / Management; or
- Postgraduate Diploma (SLQF 8) from a recognized university/institution or an equivalent qualification acceptable to the Faculty Board and the Senate with prior learning/ work experience in Business Studies / Management; or
- Professional qualification in Business Studies / Management from a recognized professional body which is acceptable to the Faculty Board and Senate with prior learning/ work experience in Business Studies / Management; or
- Completion of NVQ Level 7 (Equivalent to Bachelors degree in SLQF) with relevant work experience in Business Studies / Management as determined by the Faculty Board and Senate; And
- A Good knowledge of English language and satisfactory performance at a selection test / Selection interview.
- A person who wishes to apply for the FGS programmes shall forward the application to the Senior Assistant Registrar, Faculty of Graduate Studies, No.35/30, Pro. Stanley Wijesundara Mawatha, Colombo 07.
- Applications can be downloaded from (fgs.cmb.ac.lk) the faculty website.
- The students will be selected through an interview.
- The next intake will be announced via the website, at the time of calling for applicants.
Course Fee ( Local Students)
Application Fee: LKR 3,000/-
Registration Fee: LKR 5,000/-
Course Fee: LKR 205,000/-
Library Fee: LKR 1500/-
Examination Fee: LKR 20,000/-
(Per one paper 2000*10)
Refundable Library Deposit: LKR 5,000/-
(Rs. 2,500/= per card)
Course Fee ( Foreign Students)
Application Fee: 50 USD
Registration Fee: 83 USD
Course Fee: 3388 USD
Library Fee: 26 USD
Examination Fee: 330 USD
(Per one paper 33 USD*10)
Refundable Library Deposit (Optional): LKR 5000/=
(Rs. 2,500/= per card)
- Professor R. Senathiraja
- Professor A.A. Azeez
- Professor M.P.P. Dharmadasa
- Professor Kumudhini Dissanayake
- Professor B. Nishantha
- Professor Thilakshi Kodagoda
- Dr. D.G. Sujeewa Damayanthi
- Dr. Nihal Padmasiri
- Dr. S. Buvanendra
- Dr. A.A.C. Abeysinghe
- Dr. Rajitha Silva
- Dr. S.R. Manorathne
- Dr. Sajitha Dishanka
- Dr. W.G. Premarathne
- Dr. Mayuri Athapaththu
- Mr. A.M.C.P. Athapaththu
- Ms. N.H.M.S.M. Herath
- Mr. Rajishtha Senevirathne
Prof. R. Senathiraja
Ms. Hasini Gunawardane
Phone: (+94) 11 205 56 56