Intake in 2022
Application closing on 17th June 2022
Programme fee can be paid in installments
Those who are unable to pay the application fee to the Bank, they can pay the application fee using the online payment (Pay Online) method of the University of Colombo. Please select “Course Fee – pst grad(FGS/FMF/FOS/Law” for the Fee Type and type the account code starting from 318…. given at the advertisement for Payment Reference and proceed the payment. You should submit the online payment confirmation receipt instead of payment slip in addition to the requested documents as mentioned in the advertisement.
The Faculty of the University of Colombo is dedicated to promote high-quality Masters Education. We provide training, and research in multidisciplinary fields paying special attention to the current development and planning need of Sri Lanka.
The Mission: To provide advance knowledge at postgraduate level and create human capital for growth and development.
The Vision: To foster excellence, creativity and innovation in graduate education of Sri Lanka.
In line with Sri Lanka qualifications frame this program consists of 30 Credits, with exit level of 9.The curriculum of the program includes development and planning related issues in a multi –disciplinary manner.
- To provides & comprehensive knowledge of theory and technical skills in the field of Regional Development and Planning.
- To develop and strengthen their planning and management skills, using number of analytical tools and evaluation techniques.
- To provide an understanding of the usefulness of statistical analyses for solving practical problems and get familiar with different types of statistical methods.
- To provide an opportunity to learn basic computer operations and obtain a practical knowledge of the use of computer software packages such as MS Excel, and SPSS (Statistical Package for Social Scientists).
MRDP 6101 – Regional Development and Planning
MRDP 6102 – The Economy of Sri Lanka and Development Planning
MRDP 6103 – Project Planning and Implementation
MRDP 6104 – Natural Hazards and Disaster Management (Elective Subject)
MRDP 6205 – Computer Applications in Data Analysis
MRDP 6206 – Environmental Conservation and Management
MRDP 6207 – Independent Research Study
MRDP 6208 – Tourism and Development (Elective Subject)
MRDP 6209 – GIS and Remote Sensing (Elective Subject)
MRDP 6210 – Enterprise and Entrepreneurship (Elective Subject)
- The Master of Regional Development and Planning (MRDP) course consists of ten taught modules of which six modules are compulsory and four modules are elective. Student should select only three modules from four elective modules. The taught modules are structured around a programme of formal lectures, self-reading, presentations, assignments, and classroom discussions.
- Activities such as seminars with outside speakers, case study, workshops, field study workshops and field study visits designed to bridge the gap between academic work and practical aspects of the subject constitute an essential component of the programme.
- All taught courses will be assessed by a combination of final examination and presentations/take home assignments.
- A Bachelor’s degree from a recognized University/Institution in Regional Development Planning; or
- Any other Bachelor’s Degree, with prior learning/work experience in Regional Development; or
- Postgraduate Diploma (SLQF 8) from a recognized University/Institution or an equivalent Qualification acceptable to the Faculty Board and Senate of the University with prior learning/work experience in Regional Development; or
- Professional qualifications in Regional Development Planning from a recognized professional body which is acceptable to the Faculty Board and Senate of the University with prior learning/work experience in Regional Development; or
- Completion of NVQ Level 7 (Equivalent to Bachelor’s degree in SLQF) with relevant work experience in Regional Development as determined by the Faculty Board and Senate of the University;
- A good knowledge of English language and satisfactory performance at a selection test/ selection interview.
- A person who wishes to apply for the FGS programmes shall forward the application to the Senior Assistant Registrar, Faculty of Graduate Studies, No.35/30, Pro. Stanley Wijesundara Mawatha, Colombo 07.
- Applications can be downloaded from (fgs.cmb.ac.lk) the faculty website.
- The students will be selected through an interview.
- The next intake will be announced via the website, at the time of calling for applicants.
Application Fee: LKR 3,000/-
Registration Fee: LKR 5,000/-
Course Fee: LKR 152,500/-
Library Fee: LKR 1500/-
Examination Fee: LKR 16000/-
(Per one paper 2000*8)
Refundable Library Deposit: LKR 5,000/-
(Rs. 2,500/= per card)
- Senior Professor K. Amirthalingam
- Professor Sudheera M W Ranwala
- Professor A. Sarveswaran
- Professor R. Senathiraja
- Dr. M. Ganeshamoorthy
- Dr. Y.A.Karunarathne
- Dr Sampath Wahala
- Dr. Dilina Herath
- Dr. DMSB Dissanayaka
- Mr. KA Vimalenthirarajah
Senior Professor K. Amirthalingam
PhD, University of Colombo
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
Mr. Sahan Shashika
Phone: (+94) 11 205 56 56