Application are closing on 31st August 2021
The Faculty of Graduate Studies of the University of Colombo (FGS-Colombo) is one of the leading post-graduate institutions in Sri Lanka. Located in the heart of the commercial hub of the country, it can lay claim to well-established facilities and internationally qualified academic staff.
As a bachelor’s degree is now considered a basic qualification for academic or employment prospects, postgraduate training is essential to become a professional in your field. Postgraduate qualifications can admit you to an exclusive club of top-level competitors in a fast-track knowledge-based global economy.
FGS-Colombo can secure your professional future with a diverse range of specialized postgraduate study programmes in the applied social sciences, professional studies, and international affairs. With state-of-the-art educational methods, FGS-Colombo study programmes are designed to help today’s knowledge worker meet the challenges of the future.
FGS-Colombo was established by the Faculty of Graduate Studies Ordinance No. 03 of 1987. Led by the Dean of the Faculty, and managed by a Board of Graduate Studies, FGS-Colombo is accountable to the Senate and the Council. of the University of Colombo.
The Focus of this Programme is on educating and training students in both theoretical and Practical aspects of human rights application, drawing knowledge from historical, philosophical, legal, international and domestic dimension of human rights. It will also inculcate analytical skills amongst students, enabling them to undertake research and/or to be involved in the promotion and protection of human rights.
PgDHR 5101 – Introduction to Human Rights
PgDHR 5102 – Introduction to International Law and Human Rights Law
PgDHR 5103 – Human Rights Debates and Discourse
PgDHR 5104 – Research Methodology
PgDHR 5201 – Domestic Mechanisms on Protection and Promotion of Human Rights
PgDHR 5202 – International/Regional mechanisms on Protection and Promotion of Human Rights
PgDHR 5203 – International Humanitarian Law (IHL)
PgDHR 5204 – Contemporary Issues on Human Rights
The Teaching will be mainly based on application and the case-study approach, in addition to more traditional methods.
- A Bachelor’s degree from a recognized University/Institute in the field of Human Rights; or
- Any other Bachelor’s Degree, with prior learning/work experience in Human Rights; or
- Postgraduate Diploma (SLQF 8) from a recognized University/Institute or an equivalent qualification acceptable to the Faculty Board and the Senate of the University with prior learning/work experience in Human Rights; or
- Professional qualification in Human Rights from a recognized professional body which is acceptable to the Faculty Board and the Senate of the University with prior learning/work experience in Human Rights; or
- Completion of NVQ Level 07 ( Equivalent to Bachelor’s degree in SLQF) with relevant work experience in Human Rights as determined by the Faculty Board and the Senate of The University.
Application forms can be downloaded from the faculty web site fgs.cmb.ac.lk.
Completed application forms along with the certified copies of relevant certificates and payment slip should be scanned and emailed via (firstname.lastname@example.org) and also should be sent through the registered post to reach the Senior Assistant Registrar, Faculty of Graduate Studies, on or before 31st August 2021.
Application fee of Rs 3000/= can be made by using the code 318-5211-0000-5 to any People’s Bank Branch.
Application Fee: LKR 2,500/-
Registration Fee: LKR 5,000/-
Course Fee: LKR 80,000/-
Library Fee: LKR 1,500/-
Examination Fee: LKR 16,000/-
(Per one paper 2,000*8)
Refundable Library Deposit: LKR 5,000/-
(Rs. 2,500/= per card)
- Professor Wasantha Senevirathne
- Dr. Kokila Konasingha
- A. Sarveswaran
- M.A.M. Hakeem
- Menaka Harankaha
- Nishara Mendis
- C.L. Akurugoda
LL.M University of Exeter, United Kingdom
LL.B, University of Colombo
Mobile: (+94)77 840 74 50
Ms. Hiruni Fernando
Phone: (+94) 11 205 56 56