Next intake in 2022
Application has been closed
The Faculty of Graduate Studies (FGS) of the University of Colombo is dedicated to promote high-quality postgraduate education. The Postgraduate Diploma in Development Studies (PgDDS) provides training and research in multidisciplinary fields paying special attention to the current needs of the developing countries. This programme is aligned with the Mission and the Vision of the faculty which are to provide advanced knowledge at postgraduate level and create human capital for growth and development and to foster excellence, creativity and innovation in graduate education of Sri Lanka. Keeping in accordance with Sri Lanka Qualifications Framework (SLQF), this programme consists of 25 Credits, with exit level of 8. The curriculum of the programme is designed to treat development issues in a multi-disciplinary manner.
Objective of the programme is to provide in depth understanding on development related issues and discourses, both theoretical and practical contexts.
PGDip Dev St 5101 – Development: Theory and Practice
PGDip Dev St 5102 – Current and Emerging Development Issues
PGDip Dev St 5103 – An Introduction to Social Research
PGDip Dev St 5104 – Globalization and Development
PGDip Dev St 5201 – Sri Lankan Economy: Past, Present and Future Outlook
PGDip Dev St 5202 – Development: Roles of the Stakeholders
PGDip Dev St 5203 – Reading in Development Literature
PGDip Dev St 5204 – Environment and Development
- This programme includes eight (08) courses of 25 credits which is offered in two semesters.
- The progamme of Study and Examination leading to the PGDiP (Dev St) is conducted in the conventional mode and/or through the Information Communication Technology driven on-line mode or a combination of multi-modes and these By-Laws, and other relevant By-Laws, Rules and Regulation passed by the University of Colombo.
- The medium of instruction and examination is English.
- The Senate on the recommendation of the Faculty Board appoint a Board of Examiners to conduct the examinations and assess the performance of candidates.
- A Bachelor’s degree, from a recognized University/Institution in Development Studies or related subject area; OR
- Any other Bachelor’s Degree, with prior learning/ work experience in Development Studies or related subject area; OR
- Professional Qualification in Development Studies or related subject area from a recognized professional body acceptable to the faculty Board and the Senate of the University (hereafter the Senate) with prior learning/ work experience in Development Studies or related subject area; OR
- Completion of NVQ level 7 (equivalent to Bachelor’s Degree in SLQF) with relevant work experience in Development Studies or related subject area as determined by the Faculty Board and Senate; And
- A good knowledge of English language and satisfactory performance at a selection test and/or selection interview.
- A person who wishes to apply for the FGS programmes shall forward the application to the Senior Assistant Registrar, Faculty of Graduate Studies, No.35/30, Pro. Stanley Wijesundara Mawatha, Colombo 07.
- Applications can be downloaded from (fgs.cmb.ac.lk) the faculty website.
- The students will be selected through an interview or a placement test or both.
- The next intake will be announced via the website, at the time of calling for applicants.
Application Fee: LKR 2,500/-
Registration Fee: LKR 5,000/-
Course Fee: LKR 80,000/-
Library Fee: LKR 1,500/-
Examination Fee: LKR 16,000/-
(Per one paper 2,000*8)
Refundable Library Deposit: LKR 5,000/-
(Rs. 2,500/= per card)
- Professor K Amirthalingam (UOC)
- Dr KDMS Kaluthantri Weerathunga (UOC)
- Dr Chandana Aluthge (UOC)
- Dr MTM Mahees (UOC)
- Dr M Ganeshamoorthy (UOC)
Dr. K.D. Manori K. Weeratunga
PhD, University of Adelaide, Australia
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Ms. M. Dilani
Phone: (+94) 11 205 56 56